How to spend your first three hours in Leeds
At Horizon Leeds, we’re proud to be a Leeds business born and bred. Our traditional Yorkshire hospitality is a part of everything we do, from our dedicated event planning service to our classic-with-a-twist food provided by local experts Catering Yorkshire, and we couldn’t be happier to welcome delegates from all over the UK and further afield to our home city.
As we’re located in the very heart of the city, there’s a whole world of food, drink, culture and activities at your fingertips as soon as you step out of the door at Horizon Leeds! However, we know that this can get a bit overwhelming, especially for many of our visitors whose stay often isn’t as long as they’d like. So, in this blog post, we’ll give you the local’s guide to how to spend your first three hours (and maybe a bit longer, if you have the time) in Leeds!
Food and Drink
Leeds boasts over 300 bars and restaurants, with many of them within walking distance or a short cab ride from the Horizon Leeds centre! Some of our favourites are:
- The Man Behind The Curtain – the ultimate in luxury dining, The Man Behind The Curtain by Michael O’Hare boasts three AA Rosettes and a Michelin star.
- The Town Hall Tavern – With almost 100 years of history behind it, The Town Hall Tavern reopened in 2011 to great acclaim, and is one of the best places in the city for amazing quality, honest and classic food. For traditional Leeds food, drink and hospitality, there’s nowhere better.
- Shear’s Yard is an independent bar and kitchen in the city centre offering a relaxed space to eat, drink and be merry any time of year!
- For something a bit less traditional, The Indian Tiffin Room is a favourite of ours. We especially love their Kashmiri Lamb!
- Water Lane Boathouse sits in a picturesque location, with a great atmosphere and wide selection of drinks. Their pub quizzes are renowned throughout the city and their relaxed atmosphere makes it a no-brainer after a long day.
- If you’re trying to impress, Headrow House has it all, including a selection of over 60 beers to keep everyone happy!
- We’re big fans of Ox Club, who do one of the best brunches in the city!
- East 59th – Offer a fa supper club
Culture and Nightlife
- If you want to shop till you drop, there’s nowhere better than the heart of Leeds! Trinity Leeds boasts over 100 shops, cafes and restaurants, while the city’s Grand Arcade offers a space to local and independent brands, so you can pick up something completely unique! For luxury, the Victoria Quarter is the place to go!
- For delicious drinks and bustling nightlife, try the Domino Club, where live music is the order of the day. They also boast an excellent cocktail menu and buzzing atmosphere to keep the party going all night.
- If a relaxed beer is more your drink of choice, our local Leeds Brewery has a selection of traditional northern pubs all over the city, including The Lamb and Flag, The White Swan and Crowd of Favours.
- Call Lane is an area known by students, locals and professionals alike for a lively, friendly night on the town, while Briggate is perfect for something a little more low key. For a professional vibe, try Greek Street and Park Row.
Whatever your night, Leeds is the area perfect to get it off to a great start!
Something A Bit Different
If you fancy straying a little from the beaten track, or the classic dinner and drinks won’t cut it, Leeds has plenty more to offer too!
- Visit Locked in Games for an engaging escape room experience. If you’ve come as a team, there’s no better way to test your compatibility and challenge yourselves!
- For something a bit more old school, Press Start Gaming Zone will help bring out your inner child. With the very best of old arcade games available to play, it’s the perfect place to pass an evening with friends and colleagues alike!
- Roxy Ballroom is the perfect place to let your competitive side show, with bowling, pool and mini golf all staples in this lively bar atmosphere.
- What would a trip to Leeds be without The Emmerdale Studio Experience? Fans can learn more about the beloved soap, see indoor and outdoor sets, and even stop for afternoon tea!
- The Leeds City Museum gives you a real taste of the city and its culture. There’s nowhere better to get to know the history of Leeds, and see a variety of exhibitions about world and natural history as well!
- Leeds is also home to the Northern Ballet and Leeds Opera North for the theatre experience!
Places to Stay
If you’re staying a little longer than three hours (which we certainly recommend you do!), The Chambers Park Place is the highest rated place to stay in Leeds, according to TripAdvisor. Luxury serviced apartments in the heart of the city give you everything you need for a comfortable stay, while also giving you the privacy and independence to really see the city in the short time you’re with us. The beautifully converted traditional building gives you a sense of historic Leeds, while still having all the mod cons you could wish for!
For something more familiar, Leeds can offer you accommodation in a variety of well renowned hotels, including Malmaison, Premier Inn and Dakota, to name but a few. And not forgetting Jurys Inn which is literally just a hop and a skip from our front door! There is something for every style, budget and occasion.